Did you know the attic in your home is the main source of thermal loss for your entire house? As heat rises, it escapes easiest from the attic, leaving you with an overworked heating system that’s always trying to keep up with the outside cold.
Insulation is vital for keeping your home comfortable year-round. But, which type of insulation is best for New York attics? Read on to learn more from the experts at Rocket Insulation.
Common Types of Attic Insulation
When it comes to insulating an attic, three common types of materials are used. Each of these comes with its own perks and downsides:
- Spray foam insulation: As the name implies, this insulation is sprayed wet onto the surfaces in an attic and rapidly expands, sealing small cracks and keeping outdoor air outside. Spray foam comes in open-cell and closed-cell styles.
- Cellulose insulation: Made of recycled materials, this loose-fill and blown-in insulation is the most eco-friendly of the common insulation choices. It’s designed to last long and features a high R-value (the efficiency rating for insulation), making it a great option for attics.
- Fiberglass insulation: A classic insulation option, fiberglass can be installed as loose-fill or large bats cut to size. This material offers good insulating qualities at an affordable price.
Pros & Cons of Roll and Batt Fiberglass Attic Insulation
Fiberglass insulation is a common choice for New York attics for several reasons. However, there are a few drawbacks as well. Here are a few pros and cons of fiberglass batt insulation:
- Low cost of materials
- Easy installation with no special tools
- Long-term savings on HVAC bills
- Lower R-value than other options
- Material can irritate the skin if touched
- Shorter life span, especially if moisture gets in
Pros & Cons of Loose-Fill Fiberglass Attic Insulation
Loose-fill fiberglass insulation is another choice many homeowners go with for their insulation needs. Here are a few benefits and disadvantages to loose-fill fiberglass insulation:
- Great noise reduction
- Helps reduce stress on HVAC system
- Protects well against moisture and mold growth
- Doesn’t tightly seal every crack
- Can break down over time and need additional material
Spray Foam Insulation: Best Attic Insulation
The best choice for insulating a New York attic has to be spray foam insulation. This material offers the most benefits compared to other insulation products.
When you hire an insulation installer to install spray foam, you’ll get:
- A quick-drying wet spray that installs fast
- Insulation material that expands to fill every crack
- Exceptionally high R-values
- Insulation that sticks and doesn’t easily break down over time
- Reduced cost of heating and cooling your home throughout the year
Contact Us for Expert Attic Insulation in New York
Top-quality insulation is only as good as the team installing it. No matter the type of material you choose, be sure to go with Rocket Insulation to take care of the installation.
Our team has installed insulation of all kinds for countless homeowners and business owners throughout New York. We use the best tools and techniques to do the job right. Count on us for upfront pricing, exceptional customer service and a job well done.
When you need insulation for your attic, rely on the pros at Rocket Insulation to handle the job.
Call (631) 750-9075 to schedule insulation services in New York or Long Island.